- Animals have different physical characteristics that protect themselves from their enemies. These include
· A hard shell
· Thick skin
· Dry, hard scales
· Sharp claws
· Body shape or colour that matches the surroundings
· Good eyesight and hearing
- The bodies of garden snails, clams, crabs and tortoises are covered by a hard shell. The shell helps to protect the animals from their enemies.
- Garden snails and tortoise can also pull their head, legs or their whole body inside their shell. Clams protect themselves by closing up their shells.
- Rhinoceros and elephants have thick skin. When bitten by their enemies, rhinoceros and elephants are less likely to get serious injury.
- The bodies of crocodile and pangolins are covered with dry, hard scales. The scales protect the animals from their enemies.
- Male goats, male deer, bulls and rhinoceros use their horns to protect themselves from their enemies. They can use their horns to attactor injure their enemies.
- Porcupines, porcupine fish, and starfish have spines on the surface of their body. The spines can injure enemies that go near or attack these animals.
( a ) Porcupines raise their long, stiff spines as a warning when their enemies go near them.
( b ) A porcupine fish can inflate its body by drinking a lot of water. This raises the sharp spines on the fish’s body. The spines help to keep the fish’s enemies away.
- Eagles, tigers, lions and cats have sharp claws. These animals can use their claws to protect themselves and their young from their enemies.
- Some animals have body shapes or colours that match their surroundings. This makes it easier for these animals to hide from their enemies. ( a ) Stick insects have a long, thin body that looks like a stick or twig. Their body colour is also similar to the colour of twigs.
( b ) Leaf insects have green body parts that look like leaves.
( c ) Zebras have black and white stripes on their bodies. This makes it more difficult for their enemies to detect them from a distance.
- Centipedes, cobras, wasps and scorpions can defend themselves from their enemies using their poison. ( a ) Centipedes and cobras can bite their enemies to weaken or kill them.( b ) Wasps and scorpions can sting their enemies to weaken or kill them.Scorpion
- Some animals have very good eyesight and hearing that help them detect their enemies early.
( a ) Eagles have good eyesight( b ) Rabbits have good hearing